All State Band
2018-2019 All State Band Information
Students must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland and meet the class membership and grade designations to be eligible to participate in the All State auditions.
Each director is responsible for seeing that each student has prepared the audition music and scales as described and at the tempos given. Any questions should be directed to the Executive Director by the teacher.
2018-2019 Junior Band
To participate in the Maryland All State Junior Band, a student must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland, must be in grades 7, 8, or 9, and must be in a band class. String bass players must meet the eligibility requirements listed on the orchestra pages and audition on the string requirements as found in the orchestra All State documents.
2018-2019 Senior Band (Orchestra Wind & Percussion)
To participate in the Maryland All State Senior Band, a student must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland, must be in grades 10, 11, or 12, and must be in a band class. In senior high schools in which an alternative scheduling program is operating, the student may participate in the year in which he or she earns a full credit. String bass players must meet the eligibility requirements listed on the orchestra pages and audition on the string requirements as found in the orchestra All State documents.
All State Junior and Senior Band Requirements and Procedures
There will be two judges in each room. Scores of the two judges in each room will be averaged. Clarinets, flutes, trumpets, and saxophones may be sent to a finals room after the first audition. If a student is to go to the finals room, the preliminary room judges will issue the student a “Finals Room Pass.” Those students will then go the registration desk to sign up for the finals room.
• Each student will be asked to perform the chromatic scale and one major scale for their instrument, selected from the fol- lowing keys: C, F, G, D, A, E, B- Flat, E-Flat, A-Flat.
• The scales must be performed from memory.
• Scales will be selected by the adjudicator according to the level of the selection being performed.
• The scales are to be played evenly and smoothly in a 16th note pattern at a metronome speed of quarter = 72.
• All scales are to be played ascending and descending a mini- mum of one octave, except Flute and Soprano Clarinet who shall perform the scales a minimum of two octaves.
• Required music: See required music list. Only an excerpt will be performed. The entire piece will not be required.
• The excerpts of the required pieces will be posted in the warm- up room and at the entrance to each audition room.
• No student may audition on more than one instrument (except for flute/piccolo, oboe/English horn and Eb clarinet/Bb soprano clarinet). Flute players wishing to be considered for piccolo parts, oboe players wishing to be considered for English horn parts, and clarinetists wishing to be considered for Eb clarinet parts should bring those instruments with them to the audition and will be asked to perform the required excerpts on both instruments.
• In the event that a student arrives at the audition with the incorrect audition music prepared, the student will be given the correct music and up to an hour to prepare the correct music before the audition.
Sight Reading: Sight reading will be required.