All State Audition Information for Classroom Teachers:
Read This First!
by Mary Ellen Cohn, MMEA Executive Director
In Maryland, students have many opportunities to audition for statewide groups; to perform in solo and ensemble events at the District and State levels; and to take part in school bands, choruses and orchestras that perform for adjudication. Making those opportunities available for your students can help “drive” the music curriculum for you.
Take time now to note the deadline dates for All State groups for students in grades 7 through 12 and for Solo and Ensemble events for students in grades 6 through 12 (see calendar, inside back cover). Maryland is one of the few states that do not charge for stu- dent participation in these events. The nominal fee that is charged for individual students who attend private or parochial school in Maryland is to “level the field” for the chaperone expenses, rather than impose the chaperone costs on the selected students.
Take advantage of these opportunities for your students. Fill out the All State applications and submit them on time. Look over the audition requirements and assist your students in the process. It pays off for every student in your class if even a few of your students are striving for a higher level of excellence. Their dedication, and yours, will give new energy to the entire ensemble.
All State Audition Information
Students must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland and meet the class membership and grade desig- nations to be eligible to participate. Check the Student Eligibility policy on the next page if there are questions. Remember that your signature and your principal’s signature attest to the eligibility of the listed students as well as to the appropriate grade levels.
Because the events are on different weekends, a student in grades 7, 8, or 9 may audition for and participate in All State Junior Band and either the All State Junior Chorus or All State Junior Orchestra, if eligibility requirements have been met for both groups. Please indicate such nominations on the forms so that such students will be scheduled appropriately. MMEA requires a statement from both music teachers, indicating that the student is aware of the added pressure of preparing two auditions and is prepared for the possibil- ity of being rejected twice.
Eligible students in grades 10 through 12 may audition for the All State Jazz Band in addition to the All State Senior Band or Orchestra. Teachers must complete the nomination process for Senior Band or Orchestra AND the DVD Authentication Form that accompanies the DVD Jazz Audition.. The deadline for the DVD auditions is Friday, January 12. Copy the forms as often as needed.
To meet the Friday, September 29, 2017, receipt deadline for Junior Groups (Grades 7, 8 and 9), nominations should be mailed by September 25 or shipped UPS on September 28. (Normal UPS delivery within the state of Maryland is on the next day without any additional fee.)
To meet the Friday, October 6, 2017, date for receipt of Senior groups (Grades 10, 11 and 12), nominations must be mailed by October 2 or shipped UPS on October 5.
Copy the forms as often as needed.
List no more than 10 students per form. Send as many forms as needed. There is no limit on the number of students who may audition. Once you have completed the forms, photocopy them for your records. SEND THE FORMS WITH ORIGINAL SIGNATURES to the MMEA Office to be received by the deadline. The late fee is $35.00 per student (late applications must be pre- approved by the Executive Director).
• No jazz audition DVDs will be accepted after Friday, January 12, 2018. Late fees do not apply.
• No nomination is accepted by FAX or email.
• If you wish acknowledgment of receipt of the forms, include a self-addressed postcard or envelope, with sufficient postage for return to you.
• All instrumental auditions (band and orchestra) are at Edgewood High School in Harford County.
• Choral auditions are at three sites across the state. (Anne Arundel, Baltimore, and Frederick Counties) Make sure you check an audition site on each choral form. Your students may audition at different sites, but please mark one site for each application.
• All Junior auditions are Saturday, November 11. All Senior auditions are Saturday, November 18. Jazz auditions are on DVDs and are due on January 12. There are no exceptions.
• Late applications must be pre-approved by the Executive Director and a fee of $35 per student must be included with the late appli- cations.
• Schedules for auditions and specific directions to the sites will be mailed to each nominating teacher.
• The rehearsal/performance schedule of groups will be:
1. All State Jazz Band, February 22-24, 2018, University of Maryland Baltimore County.
2. All State Junior Chorus and All State Junior Orchestra, March 2-4, 2018, Towson
3. All State Junior Band, All State Senior Band and All State Senior Orchestra, All State Senior Mixed Chorus, and All State Senior Treble Chorus, March 9-11, 2018, Baltimore.
• Fees for selected All State members will not exceed $350 per per- son. All students will be housed two persons to a room.
• Teachers, note the policy concerning eligibility for the All Eastern groups in 2019 in Pittsburgh, PA. The audition scores from the November 2017 auditions will determine the All Eastern nomi- nations from Maryland.
The Maryland policy states: “Any student who is selected for an All Eastern Band, Chorus, Jazz Band or Orchestra or a national group sponsored by the National Association for Music Education MUST be a participant in the Maryland All State Band, Chorus, Jazz Band or Orchestra during the school year PRECEDING and INCLUDING the year in which the student is selected for such an organization.”
The students who will be nominated in the spring of 2018 may be notified of acceptance in the 2019 All Eastern ensemble before the 2019 Maryland All State results are published. A stu- dent will be disqualified from the All Eastern Ensemble unless he or she participated in the Maryland All State ensemble in 2018, AND auditioned and made the accepted list for the 2019 Maryland All State ensemble, based on the November, 2017, auditions. There are no exceptions to this policy. • All Festival Application deadlines are deadlines for RECEIPT of the forms, not a postmark date.
For District and State Band, Chorus and Orchestra Festivals/ Assessments, only the Maryland State literature lists for Band, Chorus and Orchestra may be used. For Distinct and State Wind and Percussion and String Solo and Ensemble Festivals, only the Maryland lists may be used with two exceptions: guitar solos and harp solos may be selected from a NYSSMA Manual published within the past 10 years (2006 and forward; manuals published every 3 years). For District and State Vocal Solo and Ensemble Festivals, the music must be selected from the Maryland List for Solo literature and ensemble literature.
The Maryland lists are available at no cost on the MMEA Web page (mmea-maryland.org). Choose “Teaching Area” and the list desired. Example: Select “Chorus,” once on the choral page, scroll right to see the lists and documents, including the Policies and Procedures, and select the desired list or document.
The NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association, the New York equivalent of MMEA), is used for guitar and harp solo lists. To order the most recent edition of the NYSSMA Manual (2015), send a check or purchase order for $55 plus $13 shipping payable to NYSSMA, to NYSSMA Manual, c/o Kathy Struzik, 535 Rondo Lane, Webster, NY 14580-1214. Phone is 716-670-9252; or order online directly at www.NYSSMA.org. Select “Manual,” and enter credit card and shipping information. Teachers may check with their county music office to review the lists, if the office has purchased the NYSSMA Manual.
Teachers who have questions may call the MMEA Office. The MMEA Office operates as a service to teachers. The phone numbers are for teachers and should NOT be given to students or parents. Teachers should be the source of information. Students are not to be given the numbers.
Best wishes for a great musical school year!