All State Chaperone Procedures
On behalf of the Maryland Music Educators Association, we thank you for serving as a chaperone for one of the 2019 All State Ensembles. We hope that this will be an enjoyable experience for you. You will be asked to sign a statement that you have read and will uphold the student, parent and Chaperone rules that govern the All State weekend. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask the manager of the group to which you have been assigned.
1. Chaperones will sign up for duties during specific time slots. During these times, chaperones must be at that duty assignment. There are enough chaperones that we may divide the duty assignments so that everyone may have some time off. Be sure to be present and on time for all assigned duties. Not showing up for a duty will cause a problem.
2. Coverage will be at all meals, bed check, rehearsals, busing, walking, and concert times. Meal times and busing will be assigned as a duty block.
3. Rehearsal Duty: There must be at least two chaperones in each rehearsal room at all times. If your duty is at the BEGINNING of the rehearsal time, please assist the students in getting organized. Make sure all students are present. Students are NOT to miss rehearsal for any reason other than an approved performance with their school ensemble at the Conference. Such approval comes in writing from the Executive Director to the group manager. Students do not leave on their own for such a performance but are signed out by the manager or designee, and signed in again as they return. If you notice any empty chairs at rehearsal time, notify the manager immediately. If your duty is at the END of the rehearsal time, please make sure the conductor releases the students on time (a gentle reminder of the time) and dismiss the students with instructions. Instruments may stay in the rehearsal room. The room will be locked when the group is not rehearsing.
4. Meal duty: Check students off as they enter the dining room. Inform the manager of any student who has not checked in. Please focus. Your meals are with the students. For meals when you are not “On Duty,” eat during the students’ meal time.
5. During room check/bed check:
a. Chaperones will be in same-sex pairs. Enter the room. Do not merely ask questions from the hall.
b. Make sure you actually see each student, don’t let the student tell you “he/she is in the shower.”
c. Make sure lights are out one half hour after room check.
d. No student should be out of the assigned room for any reason after room check.
e. Hall monitoring must continue until around 12:00AM/1:00 AM.
6. Please inform the manager of any student who causes any problem.
7. Any situation that arises concerning a student, parent, conductor or hotel should be addressed by the manager only. Chaperones do not make decisions or changes to the rules. See the manager immediately. Please be careful of information that you give that could be misleading.
8. Chaperones are not to speak to parents who are at the hotel or rehearsal site to pick up a student who has been dismissed.
9. Chaperones may not leave the hotel after bed-check unless told or asked to do so by the Manager.
10. Creating a positive environment for diversity, inclusion, leadership, and teamwork is essential. All defamatory, abusive, slurs, profane, threatening, offensive, harassing, or illegal language or actions are strictly prohibited.