Eligibility for MMEA State-wide Activities
Maryland Music Educators Association (MMEA) is a professional association of music educators who teach in Maryland public and
private schools and colleges. Our mission promote the advancement of music education in Maryland schools by offering leadership, learning, and newtorking opportunities.
MMEA also sponsors state-wide student activities which are grade and class (band, chorus, orchestra) specific. The activities adhere
to guidelines established by the National Association for Music Education (NAfME), of which MMEA is a state affiliate. Prior to 1980,
only students of MMEA members were allowed to participate in any state-wide activities. Currently, by agreement with the Public
School Superintendents Association of Maryland (PSSAM ), students of MMEA members and students of non-MMEA members are eligible
to participate in state-wide activities according to the following policies:
1. Only students enrolled in band, chorus, or orchestra classes in Maryland public and private schools in the appropriate grade designation
may audition for and participate in state-wide activities.
2. Only the music teacher who teaches the specific band, chorus, or orchestra class may initiate the application process for his or her
students to audition for or participate in state-wide activities.
3. All applications must be signed by the school principal, attesting to the eligibility of the listed students as members of the specific
4. Students in high schools in which alternate scheduling models are in operation are eligible to participate in state-wide activities only
in the years in which they receive a full credit for those classes.
5. Regardless of their musical ability, students who choose not to participate in their school band, chorus, or orchestra class for any
reason are not eligible to participate in MMEA state-wide activities in the years in which they are not part of their school ensembles.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding eligibility. Please note: All communications are with the music school teacher/director. Students and parents/guardians must work directly with and communicate directly with the music school teacher/director. Alternate files, formats, and links are not provided unless a request for accessibility due to a documented disability exists and is forwarded by the music teacher/director.